Some sources estimate water losses exceed 100 million litres per day.
Following tips can be considered to positively effect as and when applicable on a case by case basis. These can be shared or /and applied as suitable.
- Educate and establish awareness routines : Water flow when brushing teeth. Especially children. Luxurious amount of water find way directly into the useless outlet drainage body.
- Suitably change flow settings : Adjust tap/faucet setting to facilitate moderate or low discharge.
- Replace the tap with alternate type if applicable: Replace the tap/water valve with a type that delivers limited discharge by its own inherent design.
- Recognise kids, family and others for their co-operation :Set awards for kids when they are observed using water at controlled low flowrates out of conscious care and concern. Grateful to them for their understanding.
- Training and Awareness on water savings: Train and remind members to use water judiciously in all their interface with water.
- Identify and Route inhouse to ideal receiving bodies: Direct water washings to the garden and plants if the washings are not heavily chemical laden.
- Re-route with temporary or permanent piping :Re-route drains from existing setup to a new setup with some cost but a permanent benefit to the Environment.
- Support discharge end : If possible, attach a component to reduce water flow. Patience will have to be kept with few minutes more when having a shower in this case
- Pre-Use Checks of pipings and taps/valves:Use pipes and spouts which have near zero leak potential to avoid spills and leaks.
- Disown makeshift arrangements: Provide suitable valve instead of plugging on temporary basis.It will give off without alarm and create more nuisance brining with it safety hazards and risks.
- Personal Safety: Check on water leaks and spills in the house or surroundings will also reduce accidents by slips and falls. Members of our family, or a neighbour or a one time vendor/visitor may not know and step on a lazy and silent invisible puddle of water. Accidents cost huge.
- Batchwise Use of freshwater: Where dishwashing is done, make batches of water per number of utensils or so. This enables control over water utilisation but requires more intensive patience on part of our respected HOME-MAKERS / all family members or the assigned person.
- Building a Community Facility :Where amount of water flushings are large enough for a community of residence, and incur visibly good consumption cost, a common and safe facility can be developed so that always residual water is available for consumption and freshwater inventory use is kept at minimum possible.
- Chemical Consumption: Use chemicals instead of water where applicable.
- Use of spray mechanisms: Use jet or spray mechanism where possible say car-washing, YOU MOUND POUNDS TO SAVE THE ENVIRONMENT.
- Use of washwater in sanitation blocks: Used water or floor washings can be used as inlet water for sanitation unit flushing.
- Intermittent meet-ups :Community members should prioritize this as an agenda item during regular informal meetings. New Ideas help renew and keep adding value to the Environmental lifecycle that we all are a part of.
Surjit, Founder at ivepeaked.com
P.S.: Let me know if you have questions. Subscribe to my posts.